- Who we are and how to contact us
- How we collect your personal information
- The types of information we collect
- Ensuring your personal information is only used where lawful
- Why we collect your personal information and how we use it
- The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR)
- Sharing your information
- Business Administration and Legal Compliance
- How can I unsubscribe from marketing communications?
- Third party links and services
- How long do we keep your personal information for?
- Confidentiality and security of your personal information
- How to access your information and your other rights
- Bigbellylifestyle ‘share’ tools
The Site (www.buysofasdirect.co.uk). is operated by Buy Sofas Direct.
How we collect your personal information
Generally, we collect your information when you decide to interact with us. This could include purchasing online, over the phone, in person when you sign up to receive emails from us. We also look at how customers use our website, so that we can offer the best possible experience. We collect information in a number of ways which are listed below:
- When you register or use www.buysofasdirect.co.uk (the “Website”)
- When you contact us by telephone or email
- When you enter any event, prize draws or competitions run by buy sofas direct.
- When completing any surveys that we send to you for research purposes (although you are under no obligation to complete these)
- When completing any forms for transactional, employment or other purposes
- When you buy products, gift cards (details of transactions you make from buy sofas direct)
- From time to time, we may also get data about you from third parties. This could include other partners that we have run partnerships, competitions and events with.
The types of information we collect
We only collect the information that’s necessary to carry out our business, provide the particular service you’ve requested and to keep you up to date about all the latest product drops and brand news.
Information we obtain directly from you
Here are some examples of information we collect about you when you interact with us (as detailed in point 3):
- Name and Surname
- Email address
- Date of Birth
- Contact phone number(s)
- Purchase information
- Interactions with us e.g. contacting our Customer Service
- Payment details
- Delivery address(s)
- Billing address
- Attendance at events
- Automatically populated IP address*
- Information from cookies**
*When visiting our website we may collect an automatically populated IP address. An IP address is a unique number which allows a computer, group of computers or other internet connected device (such as your mobile or tablet) to browse the internet. We may also record the time and date of your visit, the pages that were requested, the referring website (if provided) and your internet browser version.
Information we obtain independently from you:
Third Party Organisations.
We may combine information you have given to us with additional information made available from / shared with us by external sources. This will only be done when we both have a lawful basis to do so.
From time to time we may screen our database against recognised data files such as National Change of Address file to help us keep our database up to date. Social Media.
Depending on your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services like Facebook, WhatsApp or Twitter, you may give us permission to access information from those accounts or services. Information available publicly.
.We may include information found in places such as Companies House and information that has been published in for example articles/ newspapers / online.
Ensuring your personal information is only used where lawful
In order for our use of your personal information to comply with applicable data protection law, that use by us needs to fall under at least one of the specific lawful reasons that are set out in applicable data protection law. Examples of these lawful reasons include our use of your personal information being necessary for the purchase of goods or services, or for compliance with a legal obligation.
Where your personal information is completely anonymised, we do not require a legal basis to use it as the information will no longer constitute personal information that is regulated under data protection laws. However, our collection and use of such anonymised personal information may be subject to other laws where your consent is required.
Where your personal information is not in an anonymous form, we will have a lawful reason to use your personal information in such a way to ensure that we provide the very best products to you and our other customers.
Why we collect your personal information and how we use it
At buysofasdirect we like to get to know our customers – after all, this is how we find new ways to provide you with an extraordinary experience. We use information about you in a number of ways, including providing services that you have requested, offering you a personalised experience and informing you about special events or exciting buysofasdirect news. We might also use the information we have to contact you about any information we might need to process your orders, returns or queries.
To carry out our business and to provide a service or carry out a contract with you:
Fulfilment of and delivery of products and services you have ordered. We may share your personal information with our delivery partners and third party concessions.
- Process payments. buysofasdirect does not store any payment card numbers once the transaction has been completed. We share your personal information with credit card companies and other payment providers.
- Contact you with important information relating to your booking or purchase, such as confirming your order, letting you know about returns and refunds. We share your information with our communication partners for this purpose.
- Process your tax free rebates. We share your personal information with HMRC.
Where we have your consent:
- Send you marketing updates via email about all the latest news, events and offers at buysofasdirect. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in any email. We share your personal information with a variety of third party email marketing providers who assist us in delivering our email marketing campaigns to you.
- Use your details to show you advertising on such Social Media platforms as Facebook and Instagram or via other third party advertising that may appear on other websites you use. Online advertising channels we may use are: digital display, video on demand, search engine marketing, paid social – these are all on third party sites or platforms.
- We may tailor emails and online advertising to the things you love, so they’re relevant to your location, what you have shown an interest in and the things you buy from us.
Where we have justifiable reason (legitimate interest):
- Respond to customer service enquiries raised online, social media or on the phone. Zen Desk operates our Customer Service and use case management systems.
- Send an abandoned browse / basket email via a third party supplier, Ometria.
- Invite you to provide feedback about our products and services in the form of online, email, or surveys. We use this information to help us improve the quality of service provided; to monitor the quality of our products and services and to assist with the selection of future product and service lines. We use a third party service provider to assist us with customer surveys and feedback requests. Third party providers (if used) has personal information governed by EU Model Contracts.
- Conduct postal marketing. We share your personal information with a variety of third party postal providers who assist us in delivering our postal marketing campaigns to you, including the post office.
- Analyse aggregated customer information with other interactions customers have with buysofasdirect in order to continually improve the products and services we offer through our website. We do this using Google Analytics and Google Optimise.
- For classifying our audience into groups or segments, using shopping habits information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experiences with our products and contact preferences. These segments help us to understand our audience better. We do this using Customer Relationship Management systems such as Ometria.
- To help us run the test version of our website that we use internally to pilot new features and ensure the smooth running of our web services. We do this using Google Optimise.
- To keep our database accurate and relevant, we may do this for example, using National Change of Address.
- The use of CCTV recording equipment in and around our premises for monitoring and security purposes. We may share where necessary CCTV footage to the Police and HMRC in particular. This is very strictly controlled.
- Detect and reduce fraud and credit risk. The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR) Where we have collected your contact details in the process of a sale (or negotiations of a sale) online, of a product or service, buysofasdirect will have PECR compliant permission to send you email marketings. We will only send you emails to market buysofasdirect products and services.
You will be able to say no to receive these emails when we first collect your contact details and you will be able to unsubscribe in every subsequent communication from us.
Sharing your information
We use third party platforms to manage and deliver customer relationship management (CRM); email marketing campaigns; online advertising, customer analytics, events, fulfillment of orders, delivery, returns, refunds, IT services; etc. In providing the services, your personal information will, where applicable, be used by the service provider on our behalf.
We will check any third party that we use to ensure that they can provide sufficient guarantees regarding the confidentiality and security of your personal information. We will have written contracts with them which provide assurances regarding the protections that they will give to your personal information and their compliance with our data security standards and international transfer restrictions. Business Administration and Legal Compliance
In certain circumstances, we share and/or are obliged to share your personal information for business administration and legal compliance purposes with third parties outside bigbellylifestyle.
We may use your personal information in connection with a business transition (such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or a sale of all of or portion of our assets), to enforce our legal rights and or to protect the rights of third parties and it is in our legitimate interest to do so. In such instances it will be necessary to share your personal information with external professional advisors such as lawyers and accountants, or insurers or financial institutions.
We may use your personal information for legal compliance purposes and to enforce our legal rights. In such instances it will be necessary to share your personal information with external parties such as administrative authorities (HMRC), police and public prosecutors or to comply with a court order. It is our legal obligation to do so.
How can I unsubscribe from marketing communications?
There are a number of ways you can unsubscribe. These are as follows:
- You can click onto the “unsubscribe” link in any communication that we send to you by email which will automatically unsubscribe you from that type of communication. Each “unsubscribe” link only relates to that specific type of communication (e.g. marketing communications or survey communications). This means that unsubscribing from marketing communications will not automatically unsubscribe you from our survey communications (or vice versa). Please also note that you may continue to receive communications which are already on route to you for a short period of time while your relevant unsubscribe request is being processed.
- Direct mail, you can manage your preferences (see banner at the bottom of email communications).
- Alternatively, you can email@example.com
The Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and buysofasdirect does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal details to these websites.,
How long do we keep your personal information for?
We keep your personal information in line with our company retention policy. We only retain information for as long as it is required.
Confidentiality and security of your personal information
We are committed to keeping the personal information you provide to us secure and we will take reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or alteration. We do not sell your personal information for any purpose.
We have implemented information security policies, rules and technical measures to protect the personal information that we have under our control from:
- unauthorised access;
- improper use or disclosure;
- unauthorised modification; and
- unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
All of our employees and data processors (i.e. those who process your personal information on our behalf, for the purposes listed above), who have access to, and are associated with the processing of personal information, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of the personal information of all users of our Services.
How to access your information and your other rights
You have the following rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you: Your right of access
If you ask us, we’ll confirm whether we’re processing your personal information and, if so, provide you with a copy of that personal information (along with certain other details). If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
Your right to correct information
If the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you’re entitled to have it corrected. If we’ve shared your personal information with others, we’ll let them know about the changes where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we’ll also tell you who we’ve shared your personal information with so that you can contact them directly.
Your right to delete information
You can ask us to delete or remove your personal information in some circumstances such as where we no longer need it or if you withdraw your consent (where applicable). If we’ve shared your personal information with others, we’ll let them know about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, where it is possible and lawful for us to do so, we’ll also tell you who we’ve shared your personal information with so that you can contact them directly.
Your right to restrict information
You can ask us to ‘block’ or suppress the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances such as where you contest the accuracy of that personal information or you object to us processing it. It won’t stop us from storing your personal information though. We’ll tell you before we lift any restriction. If we’ve shared your personal information with others, we’ll let them know about the restriction where it is possible for us to do so. If you ask us, where it is possible and lawful for us to do so, we’ll also tell you who we’ve shared your personal information with so that you can contact them directly.
Your right to data portability
With effect from 25 May 2018, you have the right, in certain circumstances, to obtain personal information you’ve provided us with (in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format) and to reuse it elsewhere or to ask us to transfer this to a third party of your choice.
Your right to object
You can ask us to stop processing your personal information, and we will do so, if we are:
Relying on our own or someone else’s legitimate interests to process your personal information, except if we can demonstrate compelling legal grounds for the processing; or processing your personal information for direct marketing.
Your rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling
You have the right not to be subject to a decision when it’s based on automatic processing, including profiling, if it produces a legal effect or similarly significantly affects you, unless such profiling is necessary for entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us.
Your right to withdraw consent
If we rely on your consent (or explicit consent) as our legal basis for processing your personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Your right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority
If you have a concern about any aspect of our privacy practices, including the way we’ve handled your personal information, you can report it to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can find details about how to do this on the ICO website at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ or by calling their helpline on 0303 123 1113.